A Town explores a book
Outdoor popup responses scattered through the town from community organisations, Black Winkle Arts, The Links Project,
Transition Town Hastings, The Torn Pages Project, The Jane Eyre Letters Project & The Burtons' St Leonards Society, sponsored by Fastprint & Design Ltd and Martel Colour Print.
What are we up to?
- "We've been creating drypoint engravings of portraits of Jane Eyre. Find them in St Leonards Gardens and elsewhere in town." Black Winkle Arts
- "We've selected some extracts from Rochester's proposal to Jane in the garden/orchard.
We're making a bench out of found timber and old furniture to put in the woody area next to the railway station with the torn text placed in the trees. Viewers will be invited to write their own 'proposals' for the garden." Transition Town Hastings
- "We are leaving torn pages from the novel for travellers to take with them on journeys from St Leonards Warrior Square Station. Returned pages, personalised with doodles, notes and messages will be on display in the booking office." SouthEastern Railway
- "Taking the sea bird imagery as our inspiration, we're responding to three quotes about journeying to new places. Viewers will be able to add to our display - can't wait to see their contributions!" The Links Project
- "We're gathering letters from anyone with a memory of first reading Charlotte Bronte's novel to display in St Leonards Gardens. Please send your reminiscences to email@example.com" The Burtons' St Leonards Society